by Connor Hoffman | Car and Driver
- We spied the upcoming Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series testing on the Nürburgring, and it has an absurdly large rear wing.
- We expect that it’ll be powered by a new version of AMG‘s twin-turbo V-8 producing upward of 700 horsepower.
- Black Series cars are the top-of-the-line AMG models, so expect the GT Black Series to cost well over the GT R Pro’s $200,645 starting price.
Mercedes-AMG has taken its GT sports car to new heights two times already, first with the GT R, and second with the even more track-focused GT R Pro. AMG is back at it again, making the GT even more badass for a third time with the GT Black Series, and we spied it testing at the Nürburgring with a seriously huge wing.
The Mercedes-AMG GT R holds a spot in the top 10 on our all-time Lightning Lap leaderboard, where we lapped it around Virginia International Raceway’s Grand course in 2:43.4. The GT Black Series is going to be even more insane than both existing GT Rs, though. We expect that it’ll be powered by a new version of AMG’s twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V-8 producing upward of 700 horsepower. Currently, the 4.0-liter makes 577 horsepower in both the GT R and GT R Pro models.
Black Series models are the top-dog AMGs, and the GT in these spy photos definitely looks the part. It has a larger, lower front grille and more aggressive aero, including a larger hood vent and rear diffuser. And you can’t miss that insanely large rear wing. You thought the GT R Pro was aggressive? Try again.
Expect to hear more about the Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series by the end of this year. Since it’ll be the top-of-the-line GT model and the send-off for the rear-wheel-drive sports car, expect it to cost well over the GT R Pro’s $200,645 starting price.
You Might Also Like
- Unclogging Streets Could Help City Dwellers Save 125 Hours a Year
- The 10 Cheapest New Cars of 2018
- Get Out Early, Get In Late: What to Know About Auto Lease Transfers