Keep the environment clean and safe
To prevent accidental needle sticks:
- Don’t try to bend, break, or put the cap back on your needle…you might injure yourself.
- Never throw sharps directly into the garbage.
- Never flush, bury, or burn sharps.
- Never use a container that is not rigid and puncture-resistant.
- Never use clear plastic or glass containers.
- Never mix sharps with recyclable items.
- Never leave sharps accessible to others.
- Never overfill the container.
Steps for safe sharps removal:
- All sharps should be disposed of in rigid puncture-resistant containers such as liquid detergent bottles, bleach bottles or metal containers such as empty coffee cans.
- Fill the container 3/4 of capacity.
- All containers must have a lid that can be tightly sealed before it goes in the garbage container. Reinforce the lid with heavy-duty tape.